Whether you want to keep an eye on your nanny, or protect your office or home from theft, a spy camera can do the job for you in a completely legal way. Here are five characteristics you will want your camera to have:
1. Make sure your camera has enough memory. Are you going to be able to check it on a regular basis? You don’t want to run out of memory just as the burglar is approaching! The amount you need is going to depend on how often you check your camera and free up memory.
2. Make sure it is easy to install. Most camera systems are very sophisticated and you want to make sure you install it correctly. Are the instructions easy to follow? Does it come with an instructional video or a toll-free number to call for help? Perhaps they have support that can install it for you? The company should also have a website that describes their product in detail and allows you to email them with questions.
3. Consider the lighting you will need. Are you going to be recording at night? Is your camera going to be located in a secluded area, away from natural light?
4. Consider whether you want voice and/or video recordings. Keep in mind that it is illegal in some states to record a person’s voice. Know this before buying or you may be paying for a feature that you cannot use.
5. Make sure you have high quality resolution. You do not want to catch a burglar on video, only to have it too grainy to get a good description. Pay the extra dollars to get a good video resolution.
Be sure and check with your local laws about who you can keep an eye on, and for what purposes. It is important to stay within your legal limits or you run the risk of being charged with invading someone’s privacy. As mentioned above, in some states it is only permissible to record video, not voice.
Your camera can be as compact and inconspicuous as you like, or be out in the open installed in an everyday item like a clock, pen or floodlight. Be sure to shop around and compare prices; but don’t be too stingy. Good quality is going to cost you some extra money. That doesn’t mean you have to go top of the line either.